2020 Acura MDX vs. 2020 Honda Pilot
Drivers pondering the difference between a standard 3-row SUV and a luxury 3-row SUV often find themselves comparing 2020 Acura MDX vs. 2020 Honda Pilot. Both are top models in their respective segments, but even a cursory comparison shows what sets the Acura MDX apart.
To understand why for yourself, read on to compare the two on:
- Power and MPG
- Cargo and Passenger Space
The 2020 Acura MDX offers five packages, with entry-level and top-tier trims coming in at:
- Acura MDX Standard: Priced at $44,400 MSRP*
- Acura MDX Entertainment Package with Advance Package: Priced at $60,150 MSRP*
The 2020 Honda Pilot offers six trim levels, with entry-level and top-tier trims coming in at:
- Honda Pilot LX: Priced at $31,550 MSRP
- Honda Pilot Black Edition: Priced at $49,620 MSRP
The Honda Pilot starts lower, but that reflects its lack of the premium features you’ll find as standard with even the Standard Acura MDX.
Power and MPG
Both the 2020 Acura MDX and the 2020 Honda Pilot provide V6 power as standard, but the Acura MDX is a touch more potent:
- Honda Pilot: Uses a 3.5L V6 engine for up to 280 hp and 262 lb-ft of torque.
- Acura MDX: Uses a 3.5L V6 engine for up to 290 hp and 267 lb-ft of torque.
The Acura is the only model of the two available with Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ (SH‑AWD) or a hybrid powertrain.
Maximum MPG ratings come in at:
- Honda Pilot: Up to an EPA-estimated 20 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway with 2WD 9-speed automatic trims.
- Acura MDX: Up to an EPA-estimated 20 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway with FWD trims**.
Passenger and Cargo Space
Finally, you’ll want to think about interior space. Both models provide 3 rows of seating, but interior dimensions differ between them.
- Maximum Passenger Space: Up to 152.9 cubic feet in the Honda Pilot vs. 132.7 in the Acura MDX.
- Maximum Cargo Space: Up to 109.0 cubic feet in the Honda Pilot vs. 90.9 in the Acura MDX.
The 2020 Acura MDX is a Peerless Luxury SUV with Space to Spare
*Prices shown are Acura suggested retail prices only and do not include taxes, license or destination and handling charge. Destination & Handling charge is $995 for sedans and $995 for SUVs. Acura vehicle accessory costs, labor and installation vary. Dealers set their own prices. Please consult your selected dealer.
**Based on 2019 EPA mileage ratings. Use for comparison purposes only. Your actual mileage will vary, depending on how you drive and maintain your vehicle, driving conditions, battery pack age/condition (hybrid models only) and other factors.